“The City of Detroit annexed the land where the North End district sits today from the original Hamtramck Township in 1891, and a year later in 1892, Arden Park became the earliest platted development within the district. Figure 1.4 demonstrates this annexation and how at the time, this area constituted the northern boundary of Detroit.
The North End continued to develop through the 1920s and 1930s as the auto industry attracted many immigrants from Eastern Europe as well as African-American families. Jewish immigrant communities had a particularly strong presence throughout the Great Depression. In the 1940s and 1950s, the Jewish population began moving northwest to Detroit’s periphery and to the suburbs. African-American families have constituted the largest share of population in the district since the mid-1950s.Functioning as a northern extension of the more famous Hastings Street, the Oakland Avenue corridor became the heart of jazz and entertainment in the North End, and was home to many clubs, bars, and locally owned businesses.”
For more about the History of the North End please read: The History’s Future of the North End.
The Phelps Lounge
The Phelps Lounge is a historic site in the North End that catapulted the careers of many jazz, blues and Motown legends. For a brief history, check out WDET’s video vignette called: Remembering Phelps Lounge In The ’50s and ’60s.